Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Updated: June 01, 2018
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / telex release / air waybill (AWB)
- Detailed inventory
- Oman residence visa stamp (on the passport)
- Do not include alcohol in the shipment.
- Used household goods are duty-free if owned for a minimum of 6 months; Customs allows multiple entries regardless of air, sea road shipments.
- New items are subject to a 5% customs duty.
- The approximate time frames for Customs clearance are as follows:
- Sea; full container loads (FCL) 5 – 7 business days
- Sea; less-than-container loads (LCL) 7 – 9 business days
- Air shipments 2 – 3 business days
- The approximate time frames for customs clearance during Ramadan are as follows:
- Sea; full container loads (FCL) 8 – 9 business days
- Sea; less than container loads (LCL) 9 – 10 business days
- Air shipments 3 – 4 working days
- All wood crates must be heat treated with clear visible ISPM marking.
- Oman has now introduced an e-service called Bayan.
- All owners of the goods need to register their names in Customs and get a unique ID that will be used by the clearance company to college DO and clear the effects.
- Destination agents can provide elaborate details.
- Original bill of lading
- Statistical report, if applicable
- Proof of Insurance
- While importing a new or used motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer, the owner of the goods must ensure the vehicle meets local standards, be left-hand drive, and not older than 7 years of date from manufacture.
- All vehicles are subject to a minimum 5% customs duty.
- The owner of the goods must obtain insurance at least 24 hours prior to vehicle arrival in Muscat.
- These documents will be filed with Customs by the destination agent.
- Once clearance is complete, Customs will issue a green form the owner of the goods will need to submit it with the Royal Oman Police for the registration of the vehicle.
- Destination agents generally will not be involved with the vehicle’s registration process but can assist if needed at a fee.
- For imports from a GCC country, vehicles are allowed duty-free entry if the vehicle is registered in the country of origin and is not older than 2 years prior to import and was noit improted there under any duty free scheme.
- A statistical report from Customs from the country of origin must show that duty has been paid at this country of export.
- The original statistical report must be filed with Customs in Oman.
- Permission is not required by the Ministry of Commerce for vehicle imports from GCC countries.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Import permit from the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Department of Animal Health
- The import permit is online and must be submitted with a copy of the pet’s rabies vaccination record and health certificate.
- Vaccination against rabies is required no less than one month and no more than six months before the travel date.
- DVDs, videos and CDs are subject to release after censorship clearance from the Ministry of Heritage and Culture; it takes approximately 3-4 weeks for the release and additional charges may apply.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Firearms and ammunitions
- Swords or spears
- Animal hides, skins, and ivory products
- Drugs (medicine or prescription drugs are allowed in reasonable quantities and are subject to inspection / analysis)
- Political or religious literature or statues that might be deemed offensive to the Omani government or the Islamic faith
- Pornographic books, magazines, and films
- Products of Israeli origin or items on the Israeli blacklist
- Nude pictures or paintings
- Walkie-talkie systems / remote or cordless telephones
- Airplanes and helicopters
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other Information
CIA World Factbook Entry for Oman