Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Updated: January 09, 2018
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Detailed inventory
- Bewijs van aanmelding
- Aangifte – Douane 39 form (diplomats)
- Copy of the registration at town/city hall where the shipper will live (document must mention the country the shipper is moving from).
- When client does not have his town/city hall registration yet, client may also submit a proof of deregistration from the country of origin. Please also supply one of the following documents:
- Copy of a work contract or declaration from the employer confirming the period of working for them abroad and will now be working for them in the Netherlands as from …… (date),
- Copy of a rental agreement or purchase contract of the residence in the Netherlands. This may not be older than 6 months.
- The “Bewijs van aanmelding” is the certificate from the population register of the municipality showing owner of the goods’ intent to reside in the Netherlands
- The Netherlands application is a required form that must be filled out to be able to move to the Netherlands
- All fumigated containers arriving in the port of Rotterdam or Antwerp with an excessive concentration of gas will be removed from the logistic transport chain.
- Delays may take several months before the container is released.
- High costs may be incurred due to any delays.
- The following conditions must apply for the duty-free import of the household effects shipment:
- The permanent residence of the owner of the goods must be the Netherlands or another European Union member country.
- The previous permanent residence of the owner of the goods situated outside of the European Union for at least 12 months.
- All goods have been used as part of the normal household of the owner of the goods and will be used for the same purpose.
- All goods have been in the owner of the goods’ possession for at least 6 months and have been used during that time.
- The goods will be imported into the Netherlands within 12 months after registration.
- The goods will not be sold, rented off or given away within 12 months after registration in the Netherlands.
- Owners of the goods must apply to Customs for the exemption in the import declaration.
- The following documents are required:
- A signed inventory listing all of the personal goods in the shipment.
- The certificate of registration in the personal records database of the municipality in the Netherlands.
- Must certify that the date on which the owner of the goods has established in the Netherlands or another country within the European Union.
- Owner of the goods can also send comparable documentary evidence demonstrating that this is the case.
- Employment contract
- Employer statement
- Work permit
- Rental contract or mortgage certificate for new place of residence
- All containers arriving in the Port of Rotterdam with an excessive concentration of gas will be taken out from the logistic transport chain. (Methyl bromide is mostly used toxic gas).
- According to the Ministry one may expect delays running up to several months before a fumigated container finally will be released to the consignee. Obviously high costs will be involved if a container has an excessive concentration of gas.
- The following documents are required:
- Certificate of title / registration
- Purchase invoice or other proof of ownership
- Original bill of lading
- Certificate of residence
- Copy of foreign insurance certificate or proof of insurance
- Consideration for an application for free entry of motor vehicles is 4 to 6 weeks
- A separate application for any tax exemption must be completed if not imported with the household effects shipment.
- A technical inspection as well as registration is required at the RDW after Customs clearance.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- The veterinary health certificate must be signed by an authorized veterinarian within 8 days of import.
- The vaccination record must be signed at least 31 days prior to departure but not longer than 12 months prior to import.
Wedding Trousseau / Gifts
- Inventory in 2 copies.
- Marriage certificate.
- Certificate of residence.
- Exemption of duties form.
- Hunting and shooting firearms require a permit issued by the Dutch authoritie
- To import medicines, a manufacturing license issued by the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport is required.
- Medications must be for personal use.
- Owners of the goods should request a medical passport from a general practitioner to verify the personal use of the medication.
- Plants / flowers / fruits / vegetables:
- These items resquire a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin declaring the items healthy and free from diseases.
- If a phytosanitary certificate is unavailable, Customs will confiscate the items.
- Animal Products / Food Items:
- A health certificate is required for the import of these items, including but not limited to, cheese, milk, eggs, meat, meat products, animal skins, and hunting trophies.
- The health certificate must be issued by the authorities of the origin country at the time the goods are imported.
- All animal products and food items are subject to veterinary examination upon arrival.
- Goods of animal origin, including food items, are subject to special requirements.
- Contact the destination for specific information and exceptions.
- Powdered milk, baby food, and special food items for medical purposed may be imported provided the following requirements are met:
- The products do not need to be chilled prior to consumption.
- The products are packaged products of a registered trademark.
- The packaging should be unopened and undamaged.
- An exemption from the required health certificate applies to products in which an animal ingredient is no longer identifiable (e.g., chocolate, etc.).
- Contact the Dutch Embassy in the origin country if you need assistance.
- Weapons (toy and imitation) and ammunition (strike, thrust or stabbing weapons; gas pistols, alarm pistols, pepper sprays, etc.)
- Alcohol / Cigarettes / Tobacco
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other Information
CIA World Factbook Entry for Netherlands
Wikipedia Entry for Netherlands